The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has appointed new members to its Consumer Advisory Board, Community Bank Advisory Council, Credit Union Advisory Council and Academic Research Council. Those appointees, who will serve two-year terms, are:
Consumer Advisory Board
- Chair Leigh Phillips, president and CEO, SaverLife, San Francisco
- Joaquin Altoro, CEO, Wisconsin Housing & Economic Development Authority, Madison
- Lorray Brown, Attorney/Consumer Law Attorney/Co-Director, Michigan Poverty Law Program, Ypsilanti
- Louis Caditz-Peck, director, Public Policy, LendingClub, San Francisco
- Stephanie Carroll, directing attorney, Consumer Rights & Economic Justice, Public Counsel, Los Angeles
- David Ehrich, executive director, AIR – Alliance for Innovative Regulation, Washington, D.C.
- Laurie Goodman, director, Housing Finance Policy Center, Urban Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Margaret Libby, founder and CEO, MyPath, San Francisco
- Andres Navarrete, executive vice president, external affairs, Capital One, McLean, Va.
- Beverly Ruggia, financial justice program director, New Jersey Citizen Action, Newark
- Faith Schwartz, president, Housing Finance Strategies, LLC, Austin, Texas
- Ky Tran-Trong, vice president and associate general counsel, Visa, Washington, D.C.
- Pete Upton, executive director, Native360 Loan Fund, Inc, Grand Island, Neb.
- Mae Watson Grote, founder and CEO, Change Machine, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Community Bank Advisory Council:
- Chair John Buhrmaster, president and CEO, First National Bank of Scotia, N.Y.
- Barry Anderson, president and chief operations officer, F&M Bank, Edmond, Okla.
- Mary Buche, senior vice president/consumer lending relationship manager, Bank of Labor, Olathe, Kan.
- Ronette Hauser-Jones, mortgage division president, Great Plains Bank, Oklahoma City
- Todd McDonald, senior vice president/director, Liberty Bank & Trust Company, New Orleans
- Rebecca Melton, senior vice president/chief credit officer, The National Bank of Blacksburg, Va.
- Kristina Schaefer, general counsel and chief risk officer, Fishback Financial Corporation/First Bank & Trust, Brookings, S.D.
- Michael Tucker, CEO, Greenfield Cooperative Bank, Greenfield, Mass.
Credit Union Advisory Council:
- Chair Jose Iregui, vice president of consumer lending, Langley Federal Credit Union, Newport News, Va.
- Michael Daugherty, president, Community Plus Federal Credit Union, Rantoul, Ill.
- Monica Davis, senior vice president risk management, Union Square Credit Union, Wichita Falls, Texas
- Michelle Dwyer, president and CEO, Franklin First Federal Credit Union, Greenfield, Mass.
- Jeff Ivey, president and CEO, River City Federal Credit Union, San Antonio, Texas
- Jeremiah Kossen, president and CEO, Town and Country Credit Union, Minot, N.D.
- Michael Levy, general counsel, Travis Credit Union, Vacaville, Calif.
- Deborah Wreden, executive vice president, product & delivery strategy, Virginia Credit Union, Richmond, Va.
Academic Research Council
- Chair Vicki Bogan, associate professor, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Mathieu Despard, associate professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Eric Johnson, professor of business, Columbia University, New York
- Michael Staten, professor and associate dean, University of Arizona, Tucson
- Anthony Yezer, professor of economics, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act charges the CFPB with establishing a CAB to advise and consult with its director on consumer financial issues. The bureau also created three councils, one each to give input on consumer financial issues related to community banks and credit unions, and a third to advise on strategic research planning processes, agenda and methodologies, as well as data collection strategies and methods of analysis.